Follow this article series, “Strength In …,” to learn more about how our Temple’s faith leaders and operations team maintain and serve our Jewish community.
Did you know that The Temple marketing and communications team is working to improve how members receive information? Through a late 2022 survey of the membership, the team was able to gather crucial demographic data regarding how different people prefer to receive information unique to their specific interests: One member is most interested in social events, like Hiking with Rabbi David or joining our WRJ Book Club. Another member is moved to take a deep dive into the Torah, adding to the weekly discussion about the Torah portion of services. Someone else is committed to community service through our Social Action Committee volunteer work. Whatever a member’s interests, and however they prefer to receive information around those interests, the team is working to interact with them based solely on their “flavor” of Temple life.
Our new campaign, “A Taste of The Temple– Find Your Flavor,” focuses on reaching congregants where they are. Here are the channels members can access for current information about their interests:
- The printed monthly Bulletin goes out to members via the postal service
- Three weekly emails
- The Temple App includes a link for uploading photos
- The Temple Web Portal has a secure login for members to update their membership information and pay dues online. Coming soon, a membership directory will be added
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram allow members to interact on social media
New communications tools include a digital sign visible from heavily traveled Lime Kiln Lane and Brownsboro Road. Seven different messages rotate every 15 seconds for drivers passing by. The team also launched the new portal app for members to use on the go. The marketing team’s goal was to get 250 members to download the app– but 1,373 members made actual downloads!
The team drafted a strategic communications plan that included findings from the survey. We hear your requests for creating step-by-step instructions and a video tutorial for the Member Portal on the app or website. The team will also capture screen views of each step to publish in the weekly newsletter. In-person group instructions with Benji Berlow, IT and Communications Manager, are also in the works to teach portal access and navigation, which can be simulcast on the big screen during Chavurat Shalom.
- Most members access The Temple communications from the printed Bulletin, event emails from The Temple, weekly newsletter email, and the website
- The Event Calendar is why most members go to the website
- While the most commonly used social network for members is Facebook, the least preferred channel for receiving regular communications is through any social media channel
Survey feedback will also be reflected in updated communications including:
- Concise messaging
- Advance notice for services scheduling and leadership
- A continuation of traditional forms of communication for those not on social media / not using the app
- A refresh of The Temple branding
- More frequent feature stories about members, volunteer opportunities, member connections and recruitment for membership/Sisterhood/Brotherhood, Temple history, cemetery maintenance reports, and foundation funding– members will be able to submit photos through the portal, app, and website that will be linked under a new section of the weekly newsletter, “Member Happenings”
- Digital access to prayer books
- Contact information for staff that includes photos and responsibilities
- Addition of a form allowing members to select their preference to opt-in or out of communications
- If possible, allow members to “build” their communication preferences by selecting the content they want to receive
- Explore ways to categorize The Temple events calendar for users to filter based on their interests
- Focus on Facebook as the primary social media channel with “notice” tags for submitted photos and shares, ongoing promotions for special events and members’ life cycles, campaign for The Temple’s 180th anniversary, and other historical and “Temple Trivia” posts
To request help using the Portal or for downloading the app and creating a user login, call The Temple Team at (502) 423-1818.