Chavvah Goodbye Party
The Temple Staff honored Chavvah Penner Johnson as we celebrated at Chavvah’s Goodbye Party.
By the 1880’s Congregation Brith Sholom was formed for the next generation of Jews to settle here in Louisville who separated from Adath Israel, where services were held in English instead of their native German. Brith Sholom joined the Reform movement in 1920. The two congregations enjoyed cordial relations for nearly a century before reuniting in 1977 to become The Temple of today.
Throughout its long history, The Temple has stood as an active and vocal proponent for the cause of Reform which is now the largest branch of American Judaism with over 1.5 million members and 900 member congregations throughout the United States and Canada.
From its earliest beginnings in Louisville, The Temple has taken pride in its commitment to instill in each generation of our congregation, the essential values of our Jewish faith, the deeper understanding of our heritage and our future, and the involvement of our people toward the betterment of our community as a whole. For over 175 years, the rabbis and lay leaders of The Temple have brought strength, vision, and insight into the lives of our members, the broader Jewish community and the city of Louisville at large.